Assignment 3: Final Project
The final project should be based on the previous assignments. Your team will implement an interactive visualization tool. The team submitted four deliverables: 1) deploy the project on the web, 2) publish your source code to GitHub, 3) a presentation video, and 4) presentation slides.
In case you want to change the project to something more interesting for your team, please inform two teaching assistants to check the feasibility of the project.
1) Project Implementation
You will implement the project using Altair and Panel that we demonstrated in class. You can use other libraries to help implement specific types of visualizations (e.g., Bokeh, Holoviz, GeoViews, PyVis, ...). However, you cannot use dashboard software (e.g., Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, QlikSense, ...) for the project.
The requirements of your project are the followings:
- At least 3 different views/visualization components (e.g., 3 bar charts only count as 1 component)
- Multiple views coordinated with linked highlighting. A click/hover/selection interaction within one view must trigger a change in a different view. At least 2 views need to be linked. Ideally, these views are linked bidirectionally.
- At least 2 UI widgets allow users to filter the data or update certain views interactively (e.g., dropdown, radio button, range slider, calendar).
- Interactive tooltips are shown when users hover over marks, at least in one view.
You do not necessarily build backends, and only an index.html file should be enough. Your interface should be as self-explaining as possible, with appropriate labels for panels, axes, and widgets, a legend documenting the meaning of visual encodings, and a meaningful title and description.
How to deploy your Panel project on the web: https://panel.holoviz.org/user_guide/Server_Deployment.html
You are required to submit the source code of your project. Deploying your project on the web is optional, but you will get 5 extra points if you manage to do that.
Example of student projects
2) Video Presentation
The team should prepare a presentation video to describe your project and demo the tool. The video should be at a maximum of 10 minutes and uploaded to YouTube with public or unlisted visibility.
Your presentation will include the following:
- A 30s elevator pitch - who and what is your website for (target audiences)
- A short explanation of what the website shows, also mention the source of your data
- A short demo of the possible interactions on the website
- A short demo of some of the most interesting things you found in the data
- Mention a few limitations of your tool and possible future work
Split the presentation so that everyone will take part in the presentation.
A guide on how to record the video and upload it to YouTube.
You are encouraged but not required to make the presentation video public. At least you need to set the publicity as Unlisted so that we access the video.
What to submit
- On the submission form in Edunao, 1) provide a link to your presentation video and 2) a link to access your deployed tool on the web (optional)
- Submit your source code in the .zip file. The file must be named “Final_[Your team name].zip”
- Submit the presentation slide. The presentation slide must be in the pdf format and submitted in the “Final_[Your team name].pdf” format. The last slide should indicate who did what in the project.
When to submit: The final project is due before April 16, 23:59.
Points for this assignment 60 points
Acknowledgement: We designed the final project based on the Visual Analytics course by Petra Isenberg and Information Visualization course by Tamara Munzner.